Tuesday, August 24, 2010

any ideas on this one?

I discovered something today.  Actually, I was anticipating it, but it’s still a bit of a surprise to see my suspicions confirmed.  Logan, who had his eyes checked in March (his vision is 20/25, which is in the range of normal for his age) is having trouble with figure-ground discrimination.  We were doing some pre-writing exercises-ones that I used with the other 4—and he simply cannot find the pathways he’s supposed to be using.  I finally got out my yellow highlighter and ran it down the pathways…  He has had on-again, off-again issues that have had me wondering, but this was interesting to see.

Soooo…any thoughts?  If his vision is ‘normal,’ do we need to pursue a developmental optometrist?   I know they exist and that they have tests to check for binocularity (eyes working together) as well as vision therapy for children who have visual motor delays (evidenced by poor handwriting and other symptoms, many of which Logan exhibits.)  With Logan’s previous diagnoses of motor delays, apraxia (motor planning issues), vestibular (balance) issues, and sensory integration issues, plus his hearing loss and speech issues…..well, it makes me wonder if this isn’t just one more thing for the little man.  It would, however, explain why he knows his alphabet and can play ‘GO FISH’ with alphabet cards but cannot find the letter I ask for amongst the magnets on the refrigerator!

I don’t want to jump the gun, but I do want to make sure he has ALL the tools he needs to be successful!  Given his other issues, this seems to fit right in.  I will ask at the Craniofacial Clinic in October when we go, but if this is an area in which you have experience, please help!  Either leave a comment or send me an email.  I’d LOVE your input!!

No comments:

Post a Comment