Wednesday, October 21, 2009

a comedy of errors

Today was one of those days where everything that could go wrong did. About 4 this afternoon I just gave up and figured that I'd better plan that the rest of the day would be that way. Good choice! Rather than be frustrated, I started seeing the humor in it.

So what went wrong? Well....how about this:

*An egg shell SHATTERED into the cake batter this morning by some over-exuberant help. (Sorry if the cake has some crunchies in it guys...just consider it extra calcium!)
*Orange cake batter spilled on the counter by the same enthusiastic help. Did you know that it takes bleach--lots of it!-- to get orange food dye off a white counter?
*A container of laundry detergent spilled on the floor...and the dryer...and the washer...and behind and between them...when my "help" tried to close the door while I was refilling the detergent. At this point, I was ready to throw in the towel. No pun intended.
*Cake finally finished and ready to frost, only to find that while I could make the frosting, the decorator icing I've had in the cupboard is gone! Scramble to salvage some white frosting, food coloring, and a ziploc bag to decorate the cake.
*Birthdays need birthday candles, right? Yeah....well. Not so much. Unless you're happy with mismatched nubs that are too short to light. Wondering why those were saved at all, I called Jim and asked him to stop and get some on his way home from work. It takes him less time than it takes me to put shoes on both boys, get them buckled in their car seats, drive to the store, get them both out of the car, go in to buy candles, then reverse the process to get home. Jim could be in and out before I leave the driveway!
*Gather scissors and tape and head up to wrap the carefully chosen presents, only to discover that two preschool boys following 3 teenaged girls means that I don't have any wrapping paper that isn't pink and flowery! AAARRRGGH!! About now I'm REALLY ready to chuck it all...but it gets better. And yes, I found something to wrap the presents in. Just don't look too close!
*Head back down to the kitchen to discover that someone, somehow, has unplugged the bread machine. The french bread for tonight? Well, I hope it's salvageable, but given the rest of my day I'd bet not.
*Somewhere in the midst of all this, I realized that we gave Victoria permission to spend the night at a friend's house tonight! That's just not allowed on siblings birthdays, and I blew it. So we'll be celebrating minus not one, not two, but THREE siblings! Ugh.

HOPEFULLY there will be pictures later of the birthday. I'm almost afraid to try! :) Today has been one of those days...it actually reminds me of my 5th anniversary. But that's a story for another day. Hmmm....both "5th" events! Coincidence? I hope not since Ryan's not 5 yet.

If I had my way, I'd run away now to some quiet place, a large hot chocolate with whipped cream (that is mostly whipped cream) and be done. Tomorrow has to be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment