Tuesday, June 17, 2008

some things are hard

Yesterday was a nice day, weather-wise. And so, when the boys went to bed last night in their pj shorts and t-shirts, they fell asleep without covers on. After all, when you're in an upstairs bedroom that gets the late afternoon sun, who needs covers at 7:30 or 8:00? Especially when the sun is still shining in the window??

Anyway, when I headed upstairs at 9:30, I checked in on the boys. Pulled Ryan's blanket off the foot of the bed and covered him, just like I've done a million times before with the other guys at that age. Then I walked over to Logan's bed. (Yep, they've been separated. But they still share a room.) Fully prepared to cover him as well, I leaned over and realized that his covers were already on. Neatly. Fully squared up, with the top folded over so the edge doesn't tickle his neck, just like he likes. I knew Jim hadn't been up, and no one else was home. That's when it hit me--this little guy did it all by himself. I know he had awesome incredible care at PHF, but for some reason it hurt. There's no reason at all that any 3 year old should HAVE to know how to cover himself at night. That's what Moms and Dads are for.

Yesterday was a pretty awful day, without a doubt. But my heart sure hurt last night, aching for the simple things Logan's had to learn out of necessity. It's our prayer that he will soon understand that even if he CAN do these things, Mom and Dad LOVE to do them for him. He's our little guy, and he doesn't need to be totally self-sufficient any longer.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    My oh my! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I started reading a bit of yours and I feel like I was reliving my life a few months back. :)

    Please know that you can email me whenever you want for either advice, to share milestones, or even just to vent away. I've been there!!!

    I promise you it WILL get better.

    Hugs,

    Ohilda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops....I forgot to say that I will be praying for you and Logan daily.

    O.

    ReplyDelete