Thursday, June 24, 2010

fu·tile  [fyoot-l, fyoo-tahyl]

–adjective

1.incapable of producing any result; ineffective; useless; not successful

Hmmm…that pretty much describes some of the chores around here.  I’ve just finished unloading the dishwasher for the 3rd time today.  Yup.  THIRD time.  Problem is that I will have to do it 2 or 3 times again tomorrow.  If not me, then someone else.  Yes, my dishwasher really runs that often.  And yes, it’s always full.

It’s also a good word to describe the laundry situation around here.  I’m glad it is finally nice weather—because the sun is shining I can hang clothes on the line.  Makes it feel much less like a lesson in futility and is infinitely more relaxing.  There’s not much I enjoy more than a few quiet minutes to hang clothes up and take them down.  I use the time to pray for each person as I fold their clothes.  Somehow, I just can’t get excited about doing that when I have to take it from the basket to fold…and the boys are playing in the background…and the dishwasher’s running…and there’s a meal to fix or bills to pay or questions to answer.  Outside, all that fades away and I can enjoy the sun on my face, the grass under my feet, and the preciousness of time spent in prayer for my family.

Guess it’s time to put up the clothesline!  Think it will jinx the sunshine?  I sure hope not!  I only have about 5 loads to wash tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment