Friday, May 16, 2008

our girls

Several months ago, there was a discussion on our agency's waiting child yahoo group about bringing family along on an adoption trip. As one who missed her family the first time we traveled for adoption and opted to bring nearly everyone along the second time, I'm here to tell you it can be the RIGHT choice!! Our girls (ages 17, 15, and 13) have been SO incredibly helpful. They have carried boxes, bags, backpacks, and baby brothers. They have wiped runny noses and skinned knees. They have kept little boys in perpetual giggles with their antics. They have hugged and snuggled sleepy brothers when Momma's been in the shower. They have been the best seatmates on long busrides. They have read countless books and played stickers forever. They have been, in short, a total godsend on this trip! I'm not sure Jim and I would have made it this far without them--their compassion and willingness to step up has been wonderful. Last night when I was struggling to keep it together, two of them came to me and volunteered to stay in our room while Jim and I went out for dessert. They knew it wouldn't be easy, but they were willing to do it.

All that is not to say that the trip has been without issues with them. It hasn't. There have been meltdowns over homework. There have been tears over the perpetual stares our group of 7 garners every time we go out. There has been the typical teenage sister frustration on occasion, but overall the girls have been incredible. I am so grateful that we made this work. Without them along, I would be very torn with missing them. But they're here and we are having a ball. My only regret tonight? That Brent is not with us too. He is greatly MISSED!! But the fun thing is that he'll be HOME for the weekend after we get home. I can't wait!!

2 comments:

  1. This is a trip of a lifetime that your girls will never ever forget. I'm so glad they are being a fabulous help to you. You are a lucky mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the girls have been able to be with you... how wonderful that they've been so helpful. Can't wait until you're back home so I can meet Mr. Logan!

    ReplyDelete