Thursday, May 22, 2008

Night? What night?

You know, jet lag is the worst. Last night was a prime example. Logan and Ryan took great naps yesterday afternoon, and we woke them up after 2 hours of sleep. They played hard and ate a good dinner then had a bath and went to bed about 8:30. Almost immediately they crashed. Sounds great! The rest of us were in bed by 10, so everyone was feeling pretty good. UmmmmHmmmmm... Someone forgot to let those little boys know that nighttime was for sleeping. I awoke at 11:30 to some funny little noises followed by a wail I DEFINITELY recognized--Ryan's. Stumbling in to their room, I discovered that Logan apparently had decided that he didn't want to be awake alone and had tried to get Ryan to be awake with him! I got Ryan re-settled and he returned to slumberland in about 30 seconds. Not so for Logan. At 3:15, he was STILL awake. Mean mom that I am, I was not about to allow him to get up and play--he could lay quietly in the dark but encouraging nighttime play is just not my thing. I know his clock is off, but we might as well establish the ground rules from the beginning, right? So I lay there with him, trying to get some much needed sleep. It didn't happen. Finally Logan drifted off and I headed back to my bed. I remember seeing my clock say 3:30...then the next thing I remember is hearing Ryan calling me. Checking my clock, I see that it's now 3:50! UGH. Back to the boys room I go, and lay down again with the two boys. Ryan's decided that it's time to get up. For whatever reason, I couldn't convince him that it was still dark outside and time to sleep. Not-so-quietly, he lay next to me until 4:30, when Jim finally figured out that the irregular knocking noise he was hearing was NOT birds outside but in fact his son kicking the wall. He came in and the two of them got up for the day.

After sleeping fitfully until 9, I decided to move forward on the day. Ran a few errands, refereed a dozen squabbles, and hung out here. The boys are back in bed for the night, and I'm headed there too. Hopefully tonight is better--I can't do too many like yesterday!!

Settling in,

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, you poor thing! Jet lag is miserable. I hope tonight goes better!

    ReplyDelete