Thursday, April 24, 2008

In other parts of our life...

Yep, our world has other pieces that have very little to do with adoption. Right now I'm working on one of them. Jim and I will be teaching--perhaps facilitating is a better word--a seminar on "Evaluating Choices in Education" on Saturday. Our hearts' desire is to help families make wise decisions about their children's educations. It's hard! There are so many choices available today, and it's hard to know where to begin and what questions to ask.

So I'm wading through MOUNTAINS of paper on the kitchen table, trying to pick the best stuff to make sure we hit. We intend to provide primarily resource type information--websites to explore, essays to read, hard data to evaluate--so that people are making informed decisions. I wish we'd had something like this back in the dark ages before Brent went to school! Now, it's not so hard because we've done this a few times, but it's sure good to "review and renew" the information we use every year as we make schooling decisions for our crew. This adventure has taken on new meaning to me, since we'll be starting over again in just a few years. The thought of having to evaluate kindergartens again makes me nauseous! But, that's what we get to do. Fortunately, we're a lot wiser now than we were when we packed Brent out the door the first time. And our resource list is even greater . Unfortunately, I think we're pickier now, too, having done this a few times (like, um, about 50!). Ryan and Logan will benefit though. I've committed to staying one more year on the education/curriculum committee at the girls' school so that I can see firsthand where the elementary department is headed. Fortunately, we have a few years before we have to make serious school decisions for the little boys. We need to "know our boy" well, and Logan will likely need the time too. It's good all around.

Back to the table to see what I can finish,

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Wow... that's a great thing to have. How cool that you guys are doing that! I had SUCH a hard time exploring and weeding through our choices. It is hard. Angel

    ReplyDelete