Saturday, June 11, 2011

telephone survey

Last night the phone rang as I was fixing dinner.  I answered it, and after a long pause, a male voice says he’s conducting a brief public opinion survey about politics and asks the first question.  Phone surveys are not my favorite thing, but when I’m trying to do other things I really dislike them.  I wasn’t thrilled that he presumed I would be delighted to participate and jumped right in to the first question…  Then he asked the first question:

“If the legislative election was held today, would you vote Republican or Democrat?”

My answer?  “I would vote for the candidate whose position on the issues most closely represented mine.”  I didn’t realize I was throwing a curveball!  He had NO IDEA what to do with that.  He stuttered and stammered for a minute, then said, “But would you vote Republican or Democrat?”  I calmly repeated my answer.  Flustered, he asked me to hang on for a moment.  I could hear him asking questions of a supervisor.  Then he returned, and said, “Well, okay.  Let’s try a new question.”

“If the presidential election was held today, would you vote Republican or Democrat?”

Guess what I answered?  :)  (You know where this is going, don’t you?)  Yep.  Same answer I had given to the last 2 questions.  After a moment of dumbfounded silence, he took a deep breath and said “That’s all the questions I have for you.  Thank you for your time.  I’m sorry for bothering you.”

Please!  Tell me that the future of this country is more important that the party affiliation after a candidate’s name.  Or is that too much to ask?  Is society really so unthinking???  I think I’m discouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment