Saturday, June 25, 2011

recharge




“If you are traveling with a child or someone who requires assistance, secure your oxygen mask first, then assist the other person.”

Recognize that little speech? If you fly, you might. It’s from the pre-flight safety information. It’s been on my mind the last few weeks—and it’s very appropriate for moms. Most of us give and give and give, often to the point of near burn-out. But rather than speak up and say something about our need, we keep going, frequently snapping at our husbands and lashing out at our children. Why do we do this?? Before we hit that point, we need to take time to recharge. After 20+ years of parenting, I”m finally starting to recognize the signs that I need some space. A bit ago, I knew the time was coming, and after checking the calendar, I blocked out a weekend for me. All by myself. With Jim’s blessing, of course. :)

Yesterday, I packed my bag and said goodbye. I drove up the road a bit and checked into a hotel. It’s not the physical distance that’s a big deal, it’s the mental and emotional space. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself! Walks in the park, a trip to the fabric store, time to read, a nice hot bath—doing some things to replenish my reserves. I don’t think I realized just how low they had become until I checked in yesterday. On Thursday morning, I had coffee with a very wise friend (who shares her wisdom on an incredible blog!). Brenda has been in my shoes as a homeschooling mom with a child who has learning issues. She shared something that helped her out as she walked this path: a quarterly weekend away. Not far, not fancy, but an opportunity to make sure that mom is able to refocus and recharge. I shared that bit of wisdom with Jim, and his response was “Start putting it on the calendar!” I love it!! What a great guy. :)

One more night away for me. I am loving the peace and quiet, the uninterrupted reading time, the time to think and pray. I’m jazzed about the fabric I bought for some quilts I get to make. I’m getting some things done too, things that weigh on me over the summer. As I check them off, it feels so good! Although I am not ready to head back to the reality of life yet, I’m pretty sure that tomorrow I’ll be happy to see my crew.

In the meantime, I’m off to read, relax, and recharge. Catch you later!


1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your break. I need to do the same thing, but I won't leave Holly until she is a bit older, so I guess I just try to hang on for now. (I will get a break next weekend; Rob is taking Linlee to Portland. Two mornings of not waking up to a screaming six year old is going to be AWESOME.)

    ReplyDelete