Monday, March 12, 2012

already better than it started

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.  ~Psalm 7:17

I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.  ~Psalm 9:1-2

Today started out with a sense of dread.  I don’t know how else to describe it—it was simply a sense of dread.  School, for big and little people.  Speech therapy.  Laundry.  And over it all was hanging a dreaded call to the IRS.  Again.  For a tax year that we’ve had questions about since the taxes were originally filed.

So, I started the laundry, ate breakfast, prayed, and took a deep breath.  Picked up the phone and called the IRS to ask (again) about the issue in question.  It’s the adoption tax credit for Logan’s adoption.  And because it’s a carry-forward, we’re talking small(er) dollars here, not thousands or tens of thousands.  Nevertheless…

When I called this morning, I had some very specific questions for the examiner.  Things like “Why are you denying a credit of $xxx when I only claimed $yyy to begin with?  And the amount I claimed is LESS than what you are denying?  AND the amount I claimed is made up of 2 parts—1 part in question, 1 part not in question.  What’s with that?”  Finally, we were blessed with an examiner who saw exactly what I was asking.  She didn’t have the answer but took copious notes (and my phone number!) and promised a manager’s review of my legitimate questions, complete with a personal phone call and answers, by Friday.  Thanks God!  She understood my questions but not what had been done to our return and felt that we were, in fact, correct.  She apologized for not hearing us before (this is my 3rd or 4th or 5th phone call, plus several letters, all unanswered to this point) and not addressing our questions.  

While I was on the phone with the IRS, my cell phone buzzed.  Our speech therapist has sick children (not good) and is unable to do therapy today (most excellent!).  So, in addition to the blessing of being heard at the IRS, God heard my cry for some relief in the schedule.  We have no therapy today…only time to enjoy school and get caught up on some other things that have been pushed off and pushed off.  I feel as though a thousand pounds have been lifted off my shoulders.  

On top of all this, last night I had a wonderful, fun phone call from our oldest.  He’s been struggling with some things, and for the first time in a very long time there’s enthusiasm and excitement in his voice.  He sounds good.  REALLY good.  We laughed and talked and did some vision-casting for his future.  And he likes what he sees!  There’s not much better for lightening a burden than knowing things are right with your children.  Again, only God could do that.  I am blessed! 

It’s going to be a good day.  No, a GREAT day! 

My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all the day.  ~Psalm 71:8

1 comment:

  1. I love it when I can see God working in things like reducing the tasks in a busy day. So glad for B, that things are looking positive.

    I had similar fights with the insurance co that you had with the IRS... Questions unanswered, or obviously, unheard, because the 'answers' didn't fit the situation. Finally got someone who 'heard' my question, and it was such a relief!

    ReplyDelete