Friday, September 25, 2009

too fast

We moved her out today. Into a dorm room on campus, one she'll share with 2 friends from high school. It's going to be tight, and they're going to have a wonderful year. And I'm going to miss her.

Hailey...my first girl. Where has the time gone? Just yesterday, it seems, we were bringing her home from the hospital. Way smaller than her brother, she was definitely her own person, even from the beginning. Independent, sometimes to the point of being "prickly," she never seemed to need the hugs and cuddles that others did. Truth be told, there were some interesting times with this independent little thing. As a matter of fact, I remember thinking at least once that if the preschool years were this hard, I couldn't begin to imagine how difficult the teen years would be.

I shouldn't have wasted my time. Her teen years have been a delight, and they've passed in the blink of an eye. So many things with her have been so easy compared to what others have dealt with, and yet with her we were so concerned about decisions WE made that affected her. As the second child, the one who had learned to "go with the flow" so well, we worried that having her change schools because it was best for her siblings would be hard. Not so. She blossomed and thrived in the new school. More than we dreamed possible. Even better, she's made life long friends. What a joy to see her grow, to see her servant's heart, to see her quiet leadership, her steadfastness, her faithfulness to those dear to her heart.

Now the time has come for another change. This time SHE made the choice. SHE chose the school. Watching her this summer has been fun. Always ready to lend a hand, she has eyes that see what needs to be done and a heart that is willing to serve. Those traits will serve her well as she steps out on her own. She hopes to study nursing. She'll be an awesome nurse, a good blend of compassion and authority. I can't wait to see what the next chapter brings my Hailey-girl. It's hard to step back, but this adventure is going to be fun.

So why is it that I got teary today when I took the leaf out of the kitchen table? Somehow, seeing the table so small (seats only 6 now) is harder than moving boxes into the dorm this morning. Guess it's a good thing we have volleyball all day tomorrow...I won't have time to sit and dwell on my little table. Or my big girl.

Have fun Hailey! We will miss you but we're cheering for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment