Sunday, September 13, 2009

Don't forget to pack the camera...

...or you'll miss capturing once in a lifetime shots when you're visiting friends and family!

We spent Friday and Saturday in Newberg, renewing friendships, watching soccer, and power shopping. The weather was glorious; the company was marvelous. The power shopping is mostly done and Hailey's nearly ready to head off to UW in a couple of weeks. But I should have taken my camera. Yes, it would have been wonderful to get a picture of my friend and her daughter. Yes, it would have been fun to have pictures of my niece playing soccer. Pictures of Jim and his friend heading off to watch football? Yep, those too. But the one I REALLY wish I could have taken is the one that's hard to believe without a picture.

You see, when we left soccer and headed to pizza, we stopped at a stoplight on Highway 99 in Newberg. Waiting to turn left, I was letting my mind wander as the cars drove past. But something coming caught my eye. It was big--like 10 or 12 feet tall. (Actually, it's 15 feet tall) It was on a flatbed trailer. I looked again...couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was a WOOLLY MAMMOTH heading through town! Of course, even if I'd had my camera I wouldn't have been able to get it out quick enough to get a picture. But there it was, riding down the road on this trailer. An iron frame with twisted strands hanging down, a long trunk, and tusks that were probably 6 feet long--it was quite a sight. I glanced at Hailey, who looked at me and said, "Tell me we're really seeing this. A woolly mammoth in Newberg? What gives??" Of course we both knew it wasn't real, but it isn't every day that you see a woolly mammoth riding through town. If only I had pictures...

And there was one more time I needed my camera. For 23 years, Jim has INSISTED that he hates rhubarb. Grumbles if I bring it home. Gripes about having to have it in his car or in his house (teasingly, of course, but still...) Friday night, Aunt Rachel made a delicious rhubarb crisp. I LOVE rhubarb crisp and was hoping that there would be an offer. Of course, there was--Aunt Rachel is the consummate hostess. :) Anyway, I quickly accepted, then watched with a smile as Jim politely declined, saying that he didn't care for rhubarb. Immediately, he was challenged: "When was the last time you tried it?" Sheepishly, he admitted that it had been many years. More than 25, since he's never eaten it in my presence!! I took him to the kitchen and gave him a small bite off my plate. And guess what? He liked it! The look on his face was absolutely priceless!! Almost as amazing as seeing a woolly mammoth on Highway 99....

The lesson? Never go out without the camera. You never know what you might wish you had in pictures.

The woolly mammoth we saw driving through town. This pic was taken in Fossil, OR, where the "creature" apparently lives...

No comments:

Post a Comment