Wednesday, February 18, 2009

don't get comfortable!

Not much happening around here--playing the waiting game as the regular basketball season is officially over and the playoffs don't begin until Saturday. Plus, it's "mid-winter break" for many of our activities, so the boys and I have spent the week playing and having special fun instead of our regular routine. Today the sun in shining so we washed a whole winter's worth of dirt and sand off my car. Finally!! Of course, you know what that means: bring on the rain! :\

As we spend time with Hailey talking about college and have phone conversations with Brent about his future, I have started to come to terms with the fact that hanging out in the "comfort zone" just ain't gonna happen. I'm finding that it's too easy to become complacent, too easy to rely on myself or my husband and family, too easy to believe that I can do this on my own. God's showing me that HE is the one in charge, that even when I don't like what's going on, HE is in control. Psalm 46:1-2 has become my theme for now: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea..."

Even as things change in my world, I am grateful for the things I've learned over the years and know that these things too will someday become added to the valuable lessons. Being able to share with a dear friend some of our homeschooling experiences--the good and the bad--and encourage her as she starts her journey has given me hope. Hope that the experiences of life with teens, life with almost-college kids, and life with college kids and their decision making will someday be valuable to others as well. And I pray that my fear and little faith will not hinder my children or those who watch us, in real life and on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment