Tuesday, July 13, 2010

didn’t see that coming

I’m not used to turning heads.

After all, I drive a stereotypical ‘Mom’ car—an SUV.

suburban 003

A 1996 Chevy Suburban with 200,000 miles, to be exact. And I love it. I love everything about it (well, except the gas mileage!). It’s comfortable. It’s easy to drive. It’s practical. (What else holds 8 people, tons of luggage or groceries, and can tow a 32’ travel trailer??) And it has a great sticker in the back window these days:

suburban 001

I don’t typically get many second looks and I get very few comments. Save, of course, the ones at the gas station where people can be a bit touchy about the fuel economy of my vehicle of choice. (They generally back off when they see the Marine parent sticker AND the two car seats in the back row or when they learn I have 6 children.)

The last couple of weeks, though, I’ve had the fun of being able to drive this several times:

brent 004

I can tell you it’s tons of fun to drive. However, I never expected anyone to take a second look. Like I said, I’m definitely not used to having people drool over the car I drive. It feels weird to have people admiring the car. But not so weird that I’d quit driving it. I’ve learned something in this experience, too: Learning to drive a 5 speed all those years ago was definitely worth it. This car would NOT be as much fun if it was an automatic!

Where to? I’ll drive! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment