Saturday, August 9, 2008

great news, and a hearbreak

My nephew Nicholas is here from Boise with his family to meet with the transplant team in preparation for his bone marrow transplant. The meeting went very well, and although his brother Ted was not a match, the National Bone Marrow Registry has 740 people who are potential matches! That blows my mind. The transplant team will begin their work in securing a donor, and Nick will finish his chemo. At this point, Nick and Pam will be here late October or early November for a transplant. They'll be here about 4 months (in the best weather Seattle has to offer...NOT!) At this point, the road will be hard and long but the outlook is good, so we're excited.

The good news last night was tempered with some heartbreaking news this morning. A young mom in our Moms and Tots group at our church died last night. Stephanie had four delightful little girls ranging in age from 15 months to 6 years. After struggling for months with depression and anxiety, she was no longer able to deal with things and took her own life. My heart breaks for her pain and for the family and friends she left behind. Please, if you know someone who is struggling, be a friend! Come alongside and offer support--more than just words. You never know what a difference it may make. Do it for your friend, in honor of Stephanie.

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I'm so sorry about your friend. My family understands this sort of heartbreak. My thoughts are with Stephanie's family.

    That is fantastic news that there are 740 potential matches for little Nicholas. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your friend, Jennifer. How sad for her children, family, and friends... and for her to have found herself in such a dark place.

    I'm glad that things are looking a bit more positive for your nephew. He's been on my mind and I've been wondering how he was doing. I tried clicking on the ink that you posted for an update on him, but it didn't work for me. Keeping him in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, sorry about the link. I've fixed it...but if you want to check it's www.caringbridge.com/visit/nicholasbetz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear for your friend.

    ReplyDelete