Monday, October 27, 2008

a heavy heart

My darling 6 year old nephew came to town last weekend. He's here with his mom, my sister, while he prepares for a bone marrow transplant. Nick was diagnosed with leukemia in September 2006, and relapsed in July 2008. When they came out last week, the plan was for testing/meetings with the transplant team this week, then admission to Children's Hospital on Nov 3 for conditioning, and a transplant on Nov 11. Today, those plans changed.

Nick and Pam are headed back home on Wednesday because Nick still has leukemia cells present in his blood/bone marrow. They can't prep for transplant with leukemia active. He'll be admitted to the hospital at home for a new round of chemo--4 to 6 weeks--then hopefully they'll head back. Unfortunately, this time Pam was clearly told by the doctors that Nick's chances are 50/50 at best.

Sometimes life really sucks. My eyes are red from crying, and my heart hurts. Please keep Pam and Nick (and big brother Teddy and dad/husband Tony) in your prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jennifer, I am so sorry! I can't even begin to imagine the pain you and your whole family must be feeling right now. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    I just can't imagine what your family is going through. Nick continues to be in our prayers. Hope always springs eternal with our God, so continue to hold onto that hope.

    He is the God of miracles.

    Hugs,

    Ohilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I'm so sorry. Everyone in your family must be feeling so scared. But 50/50 is better than 0. Hang on to the possibility that Nick can still beat this! I will send healing thoughts Nick's way.

    ReplyDelete