Monday, November 17, 2008

sucked into the vortex

It's that time of year again. Basketball starts today... I LOVE watching my big guys play sports, and we've had a ball this fall adding a few others to watch, but this is the time of year things can start to feel overwhelming. Trying to juggle multiple school schedules and multiple mealtimes. Parent meetings and committee meetings. Small group bible study times 3 girls, all on different nights. Speech therapy, preschool, and gymnastics. Coordinating the visit for international travel basketball teams playing at school in a few weeks. Chili for basketball concessions. A new work schedule for Jim. None of it is hard or even that challenging, and yet together they make calendar management and scheduling a full time job. But I think it's the new phase with the girls that may do me in. :) I'm SO not ready for them to grow up and have young men in their lives. Not even young men who are wonderful people. And when the daughter who is typically level-headed and balanced is playing and singing "love" songs and acting dreamy, well, then...... I know they have to grow up some day and that I HAVE to let them, but man! It's HARD!

And so, since it would be far too easy to get fully sucked in to the vortex that is my life right now, instead I've decided to focus on some of the things I have to be thankful for. After all, Thanksgiving's in a week!

* my Savior Jesus Christ. Everything else is a bonus.
* a wonderful husband
* 6 delightful, healthy children
* family and friends
* health and financial stability
* opportunities to make a difference
* life in America, something I don't take for granted!
* freedom

What did I miss? Let's make this a great week of giving thanks!

1 comment:

  1. What a great outlook! Can you imagine what our lives would be like if we didn't have kids? We wouldn't know what to do with ourselves...and our money! Heh!

    Still praying for your nephew. Give us an update whenever you can.

    Hugs,

    Ohilda

    ReplyDelete